Vernon G Brubaker Death, Obituary – Cause Of Death

At the ProMedica Ebeid Hospice Residence in Sylvania, Vernon G. “Buz” Brubaker passed away on June 15. While serving as The Blade’s superintendent of the composing department, his gentlemanly approach made him a cherished friend and colleague.

Mr. Brubaker just had a stroke after a six-month decline in his health. He was previously moved from a rehabilitation center to a specialized care facility following a catastrophic fall, according to his wife Marilyn Brubaker.

Mr. Brubaker attended DeVilbiss High School for his freshman year before transferring to Macomber High School to pursue a career in printing. After graduating from high school, he worked as a linotype operator at Roberts Printing in Toledo, according to Mrs. Brubaker.

Soon after, he decided to work in the newspaper business and began at The Blade. Mr. Brubaker started working at The Blade as a printer before being promoted to assistant night foreman, night foreman, and day foreman during the course of his employment. For more than three decades, he remained there.

From 1986 until his retirement in 1993, Mr. Brubaker served as the composing room superintendent.

He appreciated how swiftly the job was completed. According to Mrs. Brubaker, he had to check with each department to confirm the scheduling before the press conference began. She continued by saying that Mr. Brubaker had helped The Blade build a new computer system.

Mr. Brubaker played softball with great devotion all of his life. A steady catcher helped his baseball team win the regional title in 1953.

Later, Mr. Brubaker took great pleasure in representing the newspaper in softball.

According to Mrs. Brubaker, he was the kind of person who always treated others the way he preferred to be treated, which led to the fact that he got along well with every employee.

Robert Campbell, one of Mr. Brubaker’s coworkers, took over as head of the pre-press division after he left.

Mr. and Mrs. Brubaker were close friends with Mr. Campbell, who died away in 2019, and his wife Penny Campbell throughout their life.

The humor of Buzz was good. Mrs. Campbell commented that he was always the gentleman. Never made an offensive comment, and overall a lovely person.

According to Mrs. Campbell, Mr. Brubaker and her husband enjoyed playing golf together in particular and would occasionally commiserate when their strokes didn’t go as planned.

Mr. Brubaker also maintained contact with his high school and elementary school friends. They competed in bowling leagues together and once won an out-of-town tournament, according to Mrs. Brubaker.

After he retired, Mr. and Mrs. Brubaker moved into a Hillsdale lakefront home where they frequently entertained their children and grandkids. Mr. Brubaker enjoyed going hunting and fishing there with his sons and grandsons.

In Hillsdale, according to Mrs. Campbell, “they had a wicker sale that was announced in The Blade.” And I would drive up, pull over, and talk to them whenever they had a wicker sale.

In addition to enjoying hosting friends and family, Mr. and Mrs. Brubaker spent their winters in San Clemente, California.

Family was very important to Mr. Brubaker. He first met his wife at the Paladrome around Christmas of 1954, and they were married on August 13, 1955. They loved spending time with each other, as well as their four children, nine grandchildren, and five great-grandchildren.

We had a terrific day together, Mrs. Brubaker said.

They went camping together in Florida and on Cape Cod in Massachusetts. His sons played on the Bedford 3B baseball team that Mr. Brubaker coached.

We were the most dedicated family you could imagine, said Mrs. Brubaker. Wonderful children and grandchildren. We were quite fortunate.

Mr. Brubaker, who was born on April 15, 1933, was raised well and grew up in Toledo. His father, Lawrence Brubaker, worked for a company that specialized in surface combustion, while his mother, Rema Brubaker, stayed at home with him.

His one daughter, Linda Kay, three sons, Larry, Mark, and Brian, nine grandchildren, and five great-grandchildren survive him.

From 2 p.m. until 8 p.m. on Monday, Mr. Brubaker’s memorial ceremony will be held at the Urbanski Funeral Home. The funeral services will take place on Tuesday at 10 a.m. at the Urbanski Funeral Home.

error: Content is protected !!